Free Menu Planner Sample

Visit http://www.themenucompanion.com/ to get your free menu planner sample today.

The Groove Mamma Goes Gourmet - Best Canadian Entertaining Cookbook

Friday, March 02, 2007

Ok, so I admit it....at times I can be a bit of food snob. It's not from owning a cooking school but more from my upbringing. My parents always believed in stocking the fridge with fresh fruit and vegetables. Very rare was there a sweet to be found unless it was of the homemade variety. Desserts and treats consisted of beautiful German Apple Cake or my mom's famous Black Plum Cake. All of these things have formed a fantastic foundation for my adult eating habits as well as the habits I have tried to pass down to my children.


So it was with a bit of hesitation that I said yes to my 5 year old when he asked if we could make the Snake Rice Krispie Treats that he saw advertised on TV (thank you very much Mr. TV Ad Exec.). We melted the margarine, added the marshmallows and stirred in the Rice Krispies. My son expertly greased his hands with extra margarine and dived into the gooey mixture with great abandon. He squished and squashed until he was satisfied with his snake shapes and proudly put them on the baking tray. To finish them off we drizzled a little melted Valrhona Dark Chocolate on top. What? Did you think I was going to use just any old chocolate?!
I am shameful to say that I have almost polished off the entire batch! I have had to sneak my mouthfuls from my son so as not to have to share. It must be some hidden unknown longing from my misspent healthy childhood that has caused me to gorge on these little snakes! Oh, well....off to make another batch before the morning so my secret is safe from the little ones!

No comments: