Free Menu Planner Sample

Visit http://www.themenucompanion.com/ to get your free menu planner sample today.

The Groove Mamma Goes Gourmet - Best Canadian Entertaining Cookbook

Saturday, March 31, 2007


Here in Toronto the snow has melted, the sun is shining and the bulbs are starting to poke their heads out of the ground. In fact my garden’s colour palette is actually starting to take on new hues—pale green of the tulip leaves, pretty purple and bright white from the crocuses and deep red on the dogwood branches.

Just like the garden my dinner table is taking on the look of a spring kaleidoscope. As much as I love the hearty dishes of winter, spring is my favourite time to cook. I get inspired by all the new vegetables arriving in the stores and my menus become lighter and brighter bursting with the flavours of spring. Just the other day I picked up some beautiful young rhubarb with the palest of pink stalks and gorgeous pale green foliage. So beautiful in fact that the woman behind me at the checkout asked what I was going to do with it. I told her about the rhubarb fool recipe for that night’s class but I also remarked that it was pretty enough to put in a vase! I also picked up some fresh spring peas (which my husband so lovingly shelled for one hour that night!) for a spring pea, mint and potato dish that zinged with flavour and colour.

So if you’ve found yourself feeling a bit bogged down from all that hearty cold weather fare and late winter slush, head outdoors this weekend and take a cue from nature. Purchase what’s fresh and locally produced to help brighten up your mood and spring table.

No comments: