Free Menu Planner Sample

Visit http://www.themenucompanion.com/ to get your free menu planner sample today.

The Groove Mamma Goes Gourmet - Best Canadian Entertaining Cookbook

Monday, March 19, 2007

In Saturday's Toronto Star, a columnist wrote an endearing column about learning how to make her grandmother's matzo ball soup. Endearing because she set out to learn this delicacy from her mother after realizing that there will be a time when her mother will no longer be around to bring the family together over this homey soup and her and her sisters did not know how to make it.

It struck a cord with me that there are so many family recipes that I don't have the foggiest idea how to make. I just take it for granted that my mom or aunt will always be there to make our family favourites like German Apple Cake, Oma's Spaetzle and Tante Ellen's potato salad. Now I can "make" all these recipes but in no way can I match the flavour or the generations of love and caring that go into these dishes. Each has a story to tell or a memory that goes along with it.

I think it's high time that I call up mom and spend a day in the kitchen with her. I'll work side by side with her and ask all those "obvious" questions about what make each recipe special. It will be great to have those recipes but more importantly it will be an opportunity to spend some quality time with a woman doing what she does best - making her family happy through the love she shows in her cooking! Now if we can only coax the secret ingredient out of Tante Ellen for her German potato salad - we know she's leaving something out but can't figure it out!

No comments: