Free Menu Planner Sample

Visit http://www.themenucompanion.com/ to get your free menu planner sample today.

The Groove Mamma Goes Gourmet - Best Canadian Entertaining Cookbook

Monday, March 19, 2007


March reminds me of many things but most of all, the Toronto Wine & Cheese Show. Now in it’s 24th year this show is synonymous for me with the month of March. Years ago my mother-in-law owned a wonderful company called First Impressions that supplied the LCBO and various importers and distributors of alcohol products with hosts and hostesses to sample their products at the LCBO and various trade events. So for years, yours truly transformed herself into the Pernod girl and hustled this aromatic spirit, complete with beret, short skirt and fishnet stockings at the show. This is when the show was 7 days in length and we worked everyday for 12 hours a day! Not that easy in scratchy fishnets might I add! As the days grew later and the week grew longer I saw my fair share of interesting “happy” characters!
Pernod is a star anise and aromatic herb based spirit that is not only great to drink but beautiful to cook with. Because of this there were often cooking demonstrations using Pernod by the great chefs from the Ottawa Culinary Arts Institute. Most often Prawn Pernod and I stood next to these chefs for days each year watching them flambé the Pernod with great fanfare.
Although I couldn’t look Pernod in the eye for a few years, it has come back into my bar and kitchen repertoire on a regular basis. I like mine on the rocks with a small splash of orange juice as well as in many seafood dishes.

No comments: