Free Menu Planner Sample

Visit http://www.themenucompanion.com/ to get your free menu planner sample today.

The Groove Mamma Goes Gourmet - Best Canadian Entertaining Cookbook

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Spring officially arrived on March 20th and I couldn’t be happier. After months of snow, sleet and cold winds it’s invigorating to get that first whiff of spring air. There’s something delicious about that clean outdoorsy fragrance that has me throwing back the curtains, cracking the windows open and letting me sniff to my hearts content; that is until my nose feels numb from the still chilly air and I quickly withdraw back into the warmth of the kitchen. I only wish I could bottle that scent and spritz it around my home. A chemist, I’m not so I will have to make do with trying to bring spring into my kitchen in different ways. We force bulbs and seedlings inside so why can’t I force Spring as well?

My first plan of action is to showcase what I call Living Art. Bringing flowers and plants indoors is a great way to cheer up a space. Big pitchers full of arrangements of different types of flowers put nature’s palette on display and in spring I especially love the look of baby blue with hydrangeas and cornflowers. If flowers aren’t your thing then pick up little pots of fresh herbs and place them on your windowsill. Mint is an excellent choice at this time of year as the scent and flavour is synonymous with spring. I find that if herbs are on display instead of hidden away in the refrigerator then I am more likely to use them on a regular basis. Doing double duty by freshening up your recipes and providing a welcoming view while doing the more mundane tasks like washing dishes or peeling potatoes makes potted herbs a wonderful addition to your spring kitchen.

Next on the list is my pantry. Each spring I haul everything out, give the shelves a good wipe down with plain old vinegar and water and breathe in the crisp clean smell of this natural cleaner. More wintry type spices such as cumin, paprika and curry powder get regulated a little farther back on the shelf and tarragon, dill and basil find themselves taking centre stage. It’s also a great time to check the freshness of all my spices by making sure they still have a strong aroma and replacing those that have lost their impact. Keeping your spices in well sealed glass jars and containers instead of plastic bags and out of direct light are beneficial in prolonging their life span.

Finally I stock my refrigerator with the best that spring has to offer. Foods like asparagus, radishes, peas, mint and spring lamb awaken my taste buds and have me thinking and craving light, breezy spring and summer recipes. Banishing the pot roasts and potatoes also give me a new sense of energy to get out and go for a walk after dinner to enjoy the extra hour of light at the end of the day.

So between fresh flowers, herbs, spices and tastes my kitchen awakens to the sights and aromas of spring. It’s like a brand new kitchen without the $100,000 price tag! So bring some freshness and sunshine into your home this season by doing more than just opening the windows.

Here’s a recipe that will help bring the flavours of spring to your palette.

Barbecued Shrimps with Snow Peas and Mint Salt
Serves 4
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 minutes
Notes: Quick, bright and bursting with the fresh taste of mint, this recipe can be used as an appetizer or as a main meal when served with rice or a salad.

Ingredients:

· ½ cup fresh mint leaves
· 2 tablespoons sea salt flakes
· 1 kg medium green (raw) shrimps, peeled with tails intact
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 250g snow peas, trimmed
· Lemon wedges, to serve

1. To make the mint salt, place the mint and salt in the bowl of a small food processor and process until well combined. Set aside.
2. Heat a barbecue or heavy char-grill pan over high heat.
3. In two separate bowls, toss the shrimps with half of the oil and the snow peas with the remaining half of oil. Grill the shrimps and snow peas for 1-2 minutes per side or until cooked through and the snow peas are tender.
4. Serve the shrimps and snow peas together with the lemon wedges and mint salt as a condiment.

No comments: