Tonight's dinner was a mish mash of what was in the fridge and it was fantastic. Sometimes the best tasting dishes are those with the least thought!
Smokey Bacon & Potato Chowder
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup chopped smokey bacon (or regular bacon)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups (1.5L) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 pototaoes, peeled and diced
- Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium stockpot, cook bacon over medium high heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pot and place on absorbant towel.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from pot. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir contanstanly for 1 minute. Add chicken stock, potaotes and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove thyme stalks and season with salt and pepper to taste.