Free Menu Planner Sample

Visit http://www.themenucompanion.com/ to get your free menu planner sample today.

The Groove Mamma Goes Gourmet - Best Canadian Entertaining Cookbook

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Sometimes the best plans are the ones that you don’t actually plan! Right now my family and I are supposed to be in Arizona enjoying a few days of sunshine while visiting the in-laws. But after pulling out the passports the day before we were set to leave, I was surprised to find my oldest son’s passport expired. With a long Easter weekend ahead of us and no government office open, chances of renewal in time for our flight was non-existent. So we postponed the flights and found ourselves with 4 days of no plans (and no fresh food) until the office opened on Tuesday morning.

I decided to do the “loaves and fishes” route from my pantry and refrigerator because it was still Easter after all and I wanted to give my family a nice meal. It’s amazing the meal you can pull together if you have a well stocked pantry. Plus, there is something truly cathartic about cleaning out the cupboard and I found myself with the time to do it. Once I started I couldn’t stop! Even though I had a pretty good idea what was in there I was still amazed at a few items I had forgotten about.

So here is a list of items that helped me pull together our “smorgasbord” Easter that was met with rave reviews from everyone in the family. We ate from big platters of a mixture of different cultures, textures, tastes and colours. It’s a great way to eat every once in a while and even though our original plans of an Easter BBQ in Arizona didn’t turn out, this meal will certainly be remembered by all as something for everyone.

· Haloumi Cheese – A semi-hard cheese that originated in Cypress, this cheese keeps for up to one year in your refrigerator, can be frozen, grilled, sautéed or eaten as is! A truly versatile cheese. I grilled thick slices in a hot pan, squeezed some lemon over them and served it with the hot bread.
· Frozen Bread – Heated them up in the oven from frozen, sliced them thickly and felt like I had just baked bread! I love the Ace Bakery brand as well as President Choice Naan Bread.
· Canned Escargot – I sautéed garlic in butter and tossed the escargot in for a few minutes, hit them with some sea salt, black pepper and a splash of sparkling wine. My husband thought he had died and gone to heaven!
· Canned or Fresh Whole Mushrooms – I had a few fresh ones that were on the edge but it didn’t matter once I sautéed them whole in some butter and garlic. Similar to the escargot, I added sea salt, black pepper and a splash of sparkling wine. Using the hot bread to soak up all the yummy juices was my favourite part of this dish!
· Canned Hearts of Palm and Artichoke Hearts - Drained and roughly chopped these canned vegetables make a great salad with a drizzle of lemon flavoured olive oil and black pepper.
· Frozen Smoked Salmon – De-thaws quickly which leaves me just the right amount of time to prepare all the other ingredients. I drizzled the salmon with lemon juice (even from the bottle!!), sprinkled some dried dill and popped a few capers on top. For some reason this is always my 6 year old’s favourite dish.
· Sparkling Wine – Even though it’s my drink of choice, it always makes any occasion feel extra special. Plus it matches all these different flavours the best!

No comments: