Free Menu Planner Sample

Visit http://www.themenucompanion.com/ to get your free menu planner sample today.

The Groove Mamma Goes Gourmet - Best Canadian Entertaining Cookbook

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Ah, those little hand crafted cards that say “I love you mom”. Or the pencil holders glued together with hearts and the letters MOM. Or what about the paper mâché vase that holds those delicate crumpled paper flowers? If you have even the slightest inkling of what I’m talking about then you too have been privy to those special little presents that we as moms receive from our kids on Mother’s Day. As I type this I am looking at my “Best Mom” trophy that my 5 year old son made for me last Mother’s Day. It’s a Popsicle stick work of art that has great big globs of hardened glue hanging off of it and blue paint strokes that I’m told says “Best Mom”! My desk is small and somewhat cluttered with bits of paper, recipes, class notes and the odd hot wheels car but no matter how much I throw things out to maintain some sort of neatness I never part with my trophy. It takes pride of place right next to my computer screen. Helps me to remember on those days when I need a little boost that maybe I am doing an okay job as a mom to two small boys and even if it’s just for one day a year, they know it too! Here’s a recipe for Daffodil Cake that you can make for that special mom in your life or even with your kids to enjoy together this Mother’s Day. Enjoy!

Daffodil Cake*
Makes 1 cake
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:
· 10 egg whites
· 1 ½ tsp cream of tartar
· 1 tsp vanilla
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 ½ cups sugar
· 1 ¼ cups sifted cake and pastry flour
· 4 egg yolks
· 2 tbsp sugar
· 2 tbsp orange juice
· 1 tsp grated orange rind
· Whipped cream and fresh strawberries – optional garnish

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar, vanilla and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, 2 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar is dissolved and egg whites hold stiff peaks. Combine flour and remaining ½ cup sugar and fold gently into egg whites.
2. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, 2 tbsp sugar, orange juice and rind until thick and lemon coloured. Fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into yolks.
3. Spoon alternate mounds of white and yellow batters into an ungreased 10” tube pan. Gently run spatula through batter to give a marbled effect.
4. Bake in a 375F/190C oven for 35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
5. Invert cake in pan on a rack until cool. Remove to serving plate.
6. Serve cake on it’s own or with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.

* Recipe adapted from The Canadian Living CookBook

No comments: